On September 14, 1953 in a roadside park on Ten Mile Drive west of Jefferson City was the dedication of the area’s first Blue Star Memorial marker. Pictured here is the unveiling of the marker by Mrs. Frank Voss, left, Blue Star chairman of Hawthorn Garden Club and Mrs. Ernest Levy, president of Hawthorn Garden Club. Attendees at the event included Rex Whitton, who was then chief engineer of the Missouri State Highway Commission and Harris Rodgers, chairman of the commission.
During the construction of the Capital Mall in the late 1970s, the marker was moved to make room for expansion of the roads in the area and placed in the roadside park across from Steak ‘n Shake on Missouri Boulevard that was once home to a Spanish-American War statue; however, the marker has since been moved and placed at the entrance to Washington Park.
Jeremy P. Amick is a military historian and author dedicated to preserving our nation's military legacies.